Monday, June 16, 2008

Questions



Sometimes, it’s hard to tell whether I am actual alive or not. I look into the mirror and wonder who that person is. It couldn’t be me.. Is that what I look like? Really? Is this the flesh that enshrines my soul?

Things come and go, shit happens, and all that remains the same is that I'm still breathing. The lungs fill and empty, day in n day out without a rest. What would it be like for them to rest? Are they not tired like I am?

Why do these things happen? Why do I feel like I have been hit by a truck and run over by a road roller? Is it the way life is? Does everyone go through the anguish and pain that I go through? Or is it different. My heart aches for the millions who starve and millions of others who are victims of atrocities that are unimaginable. But selfish and oh so human that I am, it hurts more to see the ones I love in pain and causing pain.

I do not believe that it is possible for someone to feel pain without causing some too. And thus each and every one of us is the cause of pain at some point of time or the other. Does my elevated level of grief make me a trouble causer? Or are some people just destined to feel more hurt… “sensitive human beings” as they are called….

I never have been able to figure it out, maybe I don’t really want to. My heart aches from loss.. of people, of things and of the slow but steady, and very apparent degeneration of some of the people I love.

At first I prayed. I asked why? Then I requested Him to please intervene. But He didn’t… was it His plan? How can it be? How can He bear to watch one of His own children, His own creation unleash upon itself the effects of the BAD?

I have been asked how it is possible for me to label a thing or action ‘bad’, when bad is so subjective and opinion riddled.. “It’s simple” I said. “Bad, to me is anything that causes harm in any way to the people around or to the person himself, often both.”

Was I destined to loose? Not the trivial battles of examinations or jobs, not the menial little bits, but to loose the people I love, in one way or another, to disease or drugs or alcohol or sometimes just plain unexplainable loss of love on their part.

What is love? Isn’t it meant to be something that remains forever? It may vary in form and intensity but isn’t it the true fibre that binds us, to ourselves and others?

Who is a selfless man? One who forfeits his possessions or valuables for others? He can maybe even give the lives of his dear or his own, but what of those who love him? Doesn’t he hurt them? Doesn’t his attempt at ‘martyrdom’ or ‘sainthood’ steal from some a part of themselves?

And thus for every such ‘martyr’ and ‘saint’ there are the sufferers, who live, they have to live, with a part of their souls lost.

I cry. It’s a physical pain. For what can you do but ache to see someone you love knowingly take their own lives apart.
I was a crusader. I fought, I screamed, I begged, I cried,

I broke…..

Into a million little fragments, too far destroyed to ever be put back together.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Chequered with woven shadows as I lay
Among the grass, blinking the watery gleam,
I saw an Echo-Spirit in his bayMost idly floating in the noontide beam.
Slow heaved his filmy skiff, and fell, with sway
Of ocean's giant pulsing, and the Dream,
Buoyed like the young moon on a level stream
Of greenish vapour at decline of day,
Swam airily, watching the distant flocksOf sea-gulls, whilst a foot in careless sweep
Touched the clear-trembling cool with tiny shocks,
Faint-circling; till at last he dropt asleep,
Lulled the hush-song of the glittering deep,Lap-lapping drowsily the heated rocks.

-- William Allingham

6 comments:

dharmabum said...

heart wrenching words, more to someone who knows a little more than just the words.

the fact that we are alive, and breathing, is reason enough to believe we all have a purpose to fulfil. even this will pass.

hugs.

Admiration Alive said...

We all have a purpose, and things pass.. but there are some things in life that leave a scar, they take away a piece of your being.
and those pieces never come back.

dharmabum said...

let the pieces go - feed them to the hungry dogs, and smile about it - for you have given away!

Abhijit Chanda said...

We are all scarred, some of us more heavily than others...we are all in pain, some of us more than others...we all are driven through nonsensical torture that makes us scream through the night with one word on our lips...WHY? more often than not...WHY ME?

I know your pain Kari, I know the causes of it. There is no reason or meaning for pain to have been a part of a wonderful person like you. There is no meaning or sense to it, yet, it is a trial of our own strength, of how many times we may feel we cannot stand but we find the strength to. Life is nothing without heartbreak and pain, it is what helps us appreciate all that is left beyond the shards, the scars and make us stronger. We have all lost our innocence. We will never get it back. we have to look to the future with all we have and all we are and find hope and faith.

If you have let pain and sorrow beat you down, my dear girl, you have already lost to life. You need to find your purpose, your faith and fill your life to the brim with the magic that tomorrow holds. your past remains your past as lessons and tests of strength. you have passed them all. But you need to let go of them now. Your future is full of laughter, joy, success and more love than you have even begun to experience. i know it. i know you have not given up. i know you can't. life is too beautiful and has too much to offer. you are still young. you may have scars, but scars are a sign of healing. you can heal and move on. you can drop these dead weights and spread your wings.

Sourav said...

Read the post again. I am not good with words but can say this much in a very unromantic way. The "being" is a concept, a collection, of memories, ideas, experiences, that makes us. If anything takes out a piece of it, the purity of other parts fills it out. The "being" cannot be torned. It can feel cracked for a moment but the very nature of it heals it.

lucere38 said...

hmmm i think sourav's comment says all that i too want to express too!!!