Sunday, August 7, 2011

True Love



They marched away in single file,
how many i will never know.
And though they had moved over a mile,
I knew they had far to go.


Slowly all I could see was a blur,
the fog set in real thick.
But still unable was I to stir,
though in my mind I was moving real quick.

All that remained was a little dot,
my soldiers had marched away.
It really did seem like a lot,
to command myself to stay.

To prevent myself from running after them,
somehow I was numb.
The setting sun looked like a gem,
I stood and watched it, dumb.

Soon they were far out of sight,
I stirred from my dreamlike state.
Only to find I was feeling rather light,
happy at any rate.

And the voices came back in a flash from the past,
as I stood on the lush green grass.
And then I realised that time passes fast,
but the memories, they amass.

I turned slowly and stopped with a start,
one soldier remained.
One lone beautiful memory in my heart,
from the many I had gained.

He explained that the others had passed on,
time had taken them away,
And yes, most of them had gone,
just him, he had decided to stay.

He was with me, this lone sweet memory,
the remnants of a bittersweet rhyme.
And all I could see was exquisitely pretty,
the pain had almost gone with time.

All that remained is a love so strong,
I wanted to reach out and explain.
And I know in my heart I am not wrong,
true love is not without pain.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One lone soldier, from the old pack?